10) Surabhi presented a paper on “Play Memories and Design of Toys and Tales” at INSIGHT 2018 – Design Research symposium, organized by NID, Ahmedabad on Nov 1 and 2.
9) Surabhi Khanna was invited participant to present two papers at International Toy Research Association (ITRA), organized in Paris from 11-13th July 2018. ITRA is the only organization in the world where research and design in done for toys and tactile play. Happy to share the presentation stage with eminent toy researchers and designers.
Symposium 2 – 1st things 1st then what? Toying with design’s social agency. Presenters Surabhi Khanna (India), Anne & Ferdinand Lelong-Lecomte (France), Leon Wang (USA) and Chair Remi Leclerc (Hongkong). Paper Title – Timeless Toys and Tales
https://hal-univ-paris13.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-02081014/document – paper published in conference proceeding
Session 5 – Ways of design. Chair – Mark Allen (UK), President ITRA with presenters Gabriel Songel (Spain) and Surabhi Khanna (India). Paper Title – Tete with Toys and Tales
8) Surabhi Khanna & Prof. Sudarshan Khanna were invited by King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi, Thailand in February 2018 to participate in Saan conference – the first international conference on design, innovation and creativity. They also interacted with student and faculty group.
The conference title— SAAN (สาน) —is aThai verb, which means to weave, intertwine, interlace and plait. On the other, it means to persevere, persist and sustain. This provided a international platform for academics and practitioners engaged in the broad elds of design, creativity, and innovation.
Panel discussion : Old Wisdom in the Digital Age with Apirom Kongkanan (Aey), Asst. Prof. Nanthana Boonla-or, Chakrapan Suwanphanich Oak (Thailand), Prof. Sudarshan Khanna, Asst. Prof. Surabhi Khanna (India)
Some points of discussion were: * The importance to utilize heritage, * Can professionals survive by working only with community-based designer and toy designer?, *
Students had question about how to interact with community.
7) For the 1st International Conference on Design, Learning & Innovation, 2-3 May, 2016 by Centre for Design, Learning & Innovation (DLI) in close collaboration with the Department for Learning and Philosophy, Aalborg University, Denmark, Surabhi Khanna was co-invited with Prof. Sudarshan Khanna as a speaker and design & education workshop specialist. The conference aimed at design and technology as a tool for innovation.
After the conference the duo also conducted workshops from 4-7 May, with the students of Medialogy course, Aalborg university and later with Pedagogy department, University College, south Aabenraa, Denmark.
6) Surabhi Khanna conducted workshop on ‘Toys & Tales with Everyday Materials” and Prof. Sudarshan Khanna was a panelist on Imagine – Play & Creative Mediums at the International Play Conference: Perspectives and Practices in Play, 2017 at Bengaluru on 7-8 April. This interesting conference was organized by International Play Association (IPA) and Headstreams at Christ College. It was a very special way of a conference where playfulness was interwoven in every session and workshop. Headstreams also brought out Play-cyclopedia of games, a fascinating publication!
5) Invited for conference on “quality education for all” from 14-16 sept 2015 at Hyderabad, we, Surabhi and Sudarshan Khanna, spoke on “toys for integrated, inclusive education and development”. The audience comprised of educators, teachers, storytellers. The program was organised and supported by Alpaks,the leading company for play and education material .
a 42 minute video with a 6 minute introduction continued with slides and activities on : https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=11&v=dK4yPquzc_o
4) “Design for Stimulating Holistic Education & Inclusive Development” was the topic of our presentation to speak on “International Art Celebration Week” organized by dept. of Education in Art & Aesthetics at NCERT on 29th May 2015.
3) Speakers Sudarshan Khanna and Surabhi Khanna for V International Congress of Pedagogy and Childhood (V Congreso Internacional de Pedagogía e infancia) with central theme “Innovative Didactics: towards an integral child education” organized by Universidad de La Sabana, Chia, Bogota, Colombia, Latin America, 25-26 september 2014. Our topic was Innovative, Ingenious Toys for Stimulating Holistic Development
2)“Juega Barranquilla” or “Play Barranquilla” in Barranquilla, Colombia, South America
Talk and workshop for 300 child psychologists, teachers etc , on 23rd april 2014
By Sudarshan & Surabhi Khanna
A Happy Week in a Happy Nation!!We were invited Social & early education management of the office of Mayor Elsa Noguera of Barranquilla city, Colombia, South America from 21-27 april 2014 for “Juega Barranquilla” (Play Barranquilla) conference to conduct workshops and reflect on their social and early education program, an innovative and unique initiative involving people at the grassroot level for child development and education. We conducted design & education workshops for large number of teachers and children. It was quite an experience to spend an active week with people of the happy nation.
Several local and national media interacted with us and made some interesting coverage of the program.( Below are 5 links which are in spanish but can be translated online) http://www.elheraldo.co/…/cuando-juegas-con-ninos-cualquier… , http://diarioadn.co/…/importancia-de-jugar-en-la-infancia-1… , http://ape.com.co/…/611-el-guru-que-quiere-rescatar-la-cali… , http://www.elheraldo.co/…/hindu-experto-en-creacion-de-jugu… , http://www.eltiempo.com/…/ARTICULO-WEB-NEW_NOTA_INTERIOR-13… , http://www.barranquilla.gov.co/…/5176-barranquilla-se-la-ju…
1) Surabhi and Sudarshan Khanna conducted workshop “Joys of Toy Making” on invitation from IPA India (International Play Association) in Collaboration with Indo-German Chamber of Commerce and Kids India 2014 for Kaleidoscope of Play in India – Conference 2014 at Bombay Convention & Exhibition Centre on 18th september 2014.